Thursday 28 February 2013

TORCH group of infections - Herpes simplex virus




Depending on immunological and clinical differences two types of herpes simplex viruses can be distinguished.

Type 1(HSV 1):
It is responsible for most nongenital herpetic infections.
But up to half of new cases of adult genital herpes are caused by HSV 1.

Type 2(HSV 2):
It is recovered almost exclusively from the genital tract.
Sexual contact is the main mode of transmission.

Maternal infection:
HSV 2 infections can be categorized into 3 types:
-Primary infection: No presence prior antibodies to HSV 1 or HSV 2.
-Nonprimary first episode: Newly acquired HSV 2 infection with preexisting HSV 1 cross-reacting antibodies.
-Recurrent infection: Reactivation of prior HSV 2 infection in the presence of HSV2 2 antibodies.


Primary infection:
-Among newly acquired primary HSV 2 genital infections only one third are symptomatic.
-Incubation period: 3 to 6 days.
-Clinical features: Papular eruption follows with itching and tingling.
-The eruption then becomes painful and vesicular with multiple vulvar and perineal lesions that may coalesce.
-Severe inguinal adenopathy may occur.
-Transient systemic influenza like symptoms caused by viremia.
-Hepatitis, encephalitis, pneumonia etc may develop.
-Usually by 2 to 4 weeks all signs and symptoms of infection will disappear.
-Cervical involvement can occur but may not cause clinical symptoms.
-Some cases may require hospitalization.

Nonprimary first infection:
-Previously existing HSV 1 antibody can give partial protection.
-They may present as first clinical infection but symptoms will be less severe.
-They will have fewer lesions, less systemic manifestations, less pain, briefer duration of lesion and viral shedding.
-Sometimes difficult to distinguish with primary infection.

Recurrent infection:
-In latency period viral particles recide in nerve ganglia. They can get reactivated.
-It is called recurrent infection and virus shedding occurs during this.
-The lesions will be fever in number, less painful and shedding of the virus will be for shorter periods (2 to 5 days).
-Usually recurrence will be at the same site.

Sub clinical shedding occurs in around 60% of women with history of genital herpes infection.
Many sexually transmitted cases occur due to sub clinical shedding. Its effect on pregnancy has yet to be determined.


Neonatal infection:
-Vertical transmission through placenta or membranes is rare.
-Usually the fetus will get infection by contact with virus shed from cervix or lower genital tract during birth.
Newborn infection presents as:
-Disseminated wit involvement of major viscera.
-Localized with involvement confined to central nervous system, eyes, skin, mucosa etc.
-Asymptomatic.

With primary maternal infection 50% risk of neonatal infection is there.
With recurrent infection the risk decreases to 0 to 5%.
This could be due to smaller viral load in maternal secretions and transplacentally   acquired antibody, which will decrease the severity and incidence of the disease.
Localized infection will be usually associated with good outcome.
But disseminated infection, even when treated with acyclovir or vidarabine can result in around 50% mortality rate.
In at least half of the survivors serious ophthalmic and central nervous system damage can occur.


Diagnosis:
-Tissue culture is optimal to confirm apparent infection and asymptomatic recurrences.
-The tissue should be taken from lesions before they undergo crusting, then it will give 95% of sensitivity.
-Tzanck smear: cytological examination after alcohol fixation and papanicolaou staining. It is having 70% sensitivity.
-Using PCR increases HSV detection by four to eight fold compared to culture.

Management:
-Antiviral therapy with acyclovir, fansciclovir and velacyclovir are used to treat first episode of genital herpes in non pregnant and pregnant women.
-In recurrent infections and to reduce heterosexual transmission the drugs can be used as suppressive therapy.
-Intense discomfort can treated with analgesics and topical anesthetics.
-Severe urinary retention may need catheterization.
-Trails are going on to keep acyclovir or valacyclovir as suppressive therapy during last month of pregnancy to prevent recurrence nears term.
-It reduces signs and symptoms of recurrent infection but does not completely eliminate asymptomatic viral shedding.
-Cesarean delivery is indicated to those with active genital lesions or in those with a typical prodrome of an impending outbreak.
 -So if primary or recurrent lesions visualized near the time of labor cesarean to be done irrespective of the time of rupture of the membranes.




(The viewers are invited to post comments or ask questions related to the topic through comment box.)
 



   

6 comments:

  1. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life
    became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the
    symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family
    run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave
    up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the
    doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but
    they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making
    it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I
    came across testimonies of some people of how DR Ebhota
    cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought
    it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details
    provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me
    his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two
    weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms
    disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was
    NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR
    Ebhota because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on
    telling the world about you. If you are going through same
    situation worry no more and contact DR Ebhota via
    drebhotasolution@gmail. com or WhatsApp him via +2348089535482.
    he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4.
    ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6.DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV)8. 
    ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or LupusErythematosus 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 57 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 57 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe   total cure herbal medicine. my husband saw his testimony on the internet he used his powerful medicine to cured different diseases. we contacted his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and others diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIA CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2349010754824
    God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am Joy Bella from Houston, Texas, USA. I was living with HPV(human papilloma virus) for almost 2 years, I was not myself, my body was always itching with pains until I was on the internet searching for a remedy. So luckily, i was reading testimonials of clients who was cured of herpes by the amazing spell caster named Dr Oluta spell doctor from West Africa.I contacted him by email, and within 15 minutes he got back to me and ask of my details which i provide to him, he consulted his oracle and told me the solution to my problem and how to go about it, i did is he told me and about the two days i got the cure which he prepared and send to me through DHL service, i took the cure as instructed by him getting to two days i was cured, my HPV(human papilloma virus) was cured up. All thanks to the superb healing herbs of Dr oluta
    You too can get in contact with him today if you wanna be cured from HPV(human papilloma virus) you having by email:  dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com or whatsapp +2349065326267
    you can still get in touch with me to know more my cure, here is mine email joybella425@gmail.com 
    Thank you so much great one.. I will continue to testify of your goodness to the universe.    

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098    Website/ www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankes to Dr OSAZE, who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. i married for over eight years wthout a child of my own. because of the problem with my fallopian tubbe and fibroid, until i came in conntact with Dr OSAZE's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illment, and i decided to contact him, and he administered his medicatons on me, and i became pregnant in two monnths. incasse you wannt to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my herpes started interfering with my daily life. And my lips always bother me every damn day. I remember going to the hospital when I was around 25 years old cuz my whole lips were burning like hell. And a nurse came to the waiting lobby and said sorry there are no doctors here. So I had to go back home. My lips were burning like hell and I felt so uncomfortable that night so I turned to the internet where I found multivitamincare. org . I am 40 years old.This virus has been totally eliminated with their herbal system , My lips were messed up. They are okay when I apply chapstick, but if I don’t apply chapstick they will get tight and dry and ashy and the skin will get burnt and hard. And they always feel tingly. The burning sensation stopped after that day I started their herbal cure.  I don’t want to walk around with glossy lips. I’m a man. I don’t know what would have heal me from this virus if not for the product. I took a comprehensive STD blood test last week again and everything came out negative.,contact > multivitamin care .org today Call Us (or SMS): +1 (956) 758-7882 they have the right treatment to STD.

    ReplyDelete