Monday 30 July 2012

Morphea in pregnancy

Morphea  is a localized form of scleroderma which is more common in females than males.
It usually occurs between 3rd to 5th decade, though can occur early also.

There is no much data regarding morphea in pregnancy, according to available studies around 24% of abortion rate reported
And also there is around 71% normal deliveries, so there is no sufficient data to tell exactly the relation between morphea and pregnancy.



as morphea is localized form it affects mainly skin, affecting internal organs is somewhat less, but the risk cannot be completely excluded,

morphea on left side affected the development of  striae of pregnancy and growth to some extent


women with morphea usually have sub-fertility and in case of pregnancy they will be affected more in third trimester usually.
complications that can develop in third trimester:
rapid development of hypertension,
renal failure,
preterm labor,
malabsorption, increased constipation,
growth retardation of the baby, anomalies can also occur because of medicines used by mother etc,
as it affects blood vessels by causing proliferation of connective tissue, inflammatory response and leading to fibrosis of vessels it can affect the growth of the placenta and also its function.

but with proper follow up most of these can be prevented.
 pregnancy can be properly managed with,
-regular antenatal checkups,
-including checking for blood pressure and edema, assessing cardiopulmonary, renal and gastro-intestinal systems, symptomatic treatment for musculoskeletal problems,
-nutritional diet etc.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Holly. I am 34 right now (I turn 35 later this year). I have just been diagnosed with "morphea". I have a hard/sore reddened area on my leg that wouldn't go away...so a biopsy was done to confirm this diagnosis. I have also had a misscarriage in 2008 and then our daughter was born premature (wk.33) in 2011. Our daughter develope NEC and died when we took her off of life support when she was 11 days old. We have been trying to get pregant ever since she passed away, and for some reason I am not getting pregnant (had absolutely no problems before). I just started our first round of clomid two days ago. I am so scared!!!! What should I do? My fertility Dr. doesn't know I have "morphea" (I was only told by my family Dr. a couple days ago and she said it's o.k. for me to try clomid). I hope I am doing the right thing!!! I don't want to loose another child...or have anything damage them!! Can you tell me more info.?? Should I let my fertility Dr. know right away??

    Thanks for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,
    You may not have any problem due to the usage of clomid.
    Clomid contains clomiphene citrate, which helps in ovulation induction.
    Morphea mainly affects the connective tissue as I mentioned in the article, so in the early stages it may not affect the fertility.
    But as you are having previous history of miscarriage and preterm labor better to be careful from the beginning after conceiving.
    By following the measures I mentioned at the end of the article you may have a successful pregnancy.
    You can tell about morphea to your fertility doctor, nothing wrong in it. She may take additional precautions.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Dr. Sree!

      I am just so scared of something going wrong! Thank you for your information! It puts my mind at ease a little bit. Wish me/us luck!

      Sincerely,

      Holly M.

      Delete
    2. Hi Holly,
      All the best to you and your family.
      Take care.

      Delete